Mix of characters in Appointment Selection message

• Dan Phillips
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #25183 by Dan Phillips
J! 3.9. Just updated to ABPro 4.0.3 and I'm getting a weird error in the GAD booking screen. When clicking on an available timeslot the time shown in the "Appointment Selection:" bar is a mix of Korean, Chinese and Roman characters:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25184 by Rob
I've not encountered anything like that before.
What language is the site running?

?? Maybe try clearing the Site Cache in the Joomla System menu.

• Dan Phillips
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #25185 by Dan Phillips
Replied by Dan Phillips on topic Mix of characters in Appointment Selection message
I've done that repeatedly and also used Regular Labs cache cleaner and cleared my browser cache. This happens every time and it's a different set of characters every time, but always in the start time.

The site is in English and that is the only language installed.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25186 by Rob
What OS is the site running on Linux or Windows?

• Dan Phillips
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #25187 by Dan Phillips
Replied by Dan Phillips on topic Mix of characters in Appointment Selection message
CentOS 7 and PHP 7.2.11
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Dan Phillips.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #25188 by Rob
Its a long shot but maybe your WINDOWS directive is being set somewhere so ABPro thinks it is running on a Windows server.

In file: \components\com_rsappt_pro3\rsappt_pro3.php

Around line 32 try commenting out the code as below, to force WINDOWS to be false.

//if (substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3) == 'WIN') {
// define("WINDOWS", true);
//} else {
define("WINDOWS", false);
//}
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Rob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lindsay Heyes, Dan Phillips

• Dan Phillips
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #25189 by Dan Phillips
THAT FIXED IT! Thank you :-)

Now to try to figure out why it would think it's on Windows…

More
5 years 5 months ago #25190 by Rob
You're welcome ;-)

More
5 years 5 months ago #25205 by Lindsay Heyes
Replied by Lindsay Heyes on topic Mix of characters in Appointment Selection message
FYI Rob, I have the same problem - on a Linux server which is correctly identified as such by Joomla:

PHP Version 7.2.11
System Linux webserver2.cmwebhosting.net 3.10.0-327.28.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 3 11:11:39 UTC 2016 x86_64
Build Date Nov 8 2018 13:20:20

Web Server Apache/2
WebServer to PHP Interface fpm-fcgi
Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.9.0 Stable [ Amani ] 30-October-2018 14:00 GMT

I can hack the code, but we can't find a problem in the Server or Joomla configuration at the moment.

• Dan Phillips
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #25206 by Dan Phillips
To further complicate the issue - I have several nearly identical sites running on the same server but only two of them have shown this problem. In both cases, commenting out those lines fixed it.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Dan Phillips.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25207 by Lindsay Heyes
Replied by Lindsay Heyes on topic Mix of characters in Appointment Selection message
Commenting out that code has not fixed it for me :(

Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #25208 by Rob
When did it start?
After an upgrade or system change?

You may need to restart your browser.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25209 by Lindsay Heyes
My webhost upgraded the PHP, then I updated Joomla and Kunena Forum. As expected, the old version of AB Pro threw a load of errors on submit (although it could read the database just fine).

I then updated AB Pro to the current version using the old method - Backup, Uninstall. Install, Restore. Everything has passed testing except this element of the display.

I also had the following error message on Restore:

be_restore You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 't read.

I have referred that issue to my webhost. The database appears to work properly.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25210 by Rob
Maybe double check the code change made it up to your server, as that is the only fix I know.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25211 by Lindsay Heyes
I just downloaded it from my server, and the change of code is there and exactly as you specified.

I have also tested various Long Date Formats in Configuration | GAD Setup to eliminate that as a source of the problem. The corrupt display appears on mobile and PC.

:huh:

BTW it looks like the syntax error was probably down to taking the backup using the old PHP.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25212 by Rob
The timeslot data sent to the client browser is either sent plain or, if you are running a Windows server, it is wrapped in an iconv call.
The only case of messed up characters happening that I am aware of is when iconv is used for a Linux server.
Hard coding the WINDOWS directive false ensures the non-iconv call is used.

Confirm your site is NOT running on a Windows server.
Also confirm it is set to English language.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25213 by Lindsay Heyes
I have sent your comment about the iconv call to my webhost to ask if it rings any bells and to get him to check.

Here's the confirmation from Joomla, so I am still in the dark...

Control Panel | Configuration | System Information | PHP Configuration:
System Linux webserver2.cmwebhosting.net 3.10.0-327.28.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 3 11:11:39 UTC 2016 x86_64
Control Panel | Configuration | Languages:
Installed:
English (en-GB) English (United Kingdom) en-GB 3.9.0 October 2018 Joomla! Project
Content language(s):
English (UK) English (UK) en-GB en en en
Overrides:
No matching results

More
5 years 5 months ago #25214 by Rob
Can you email me (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) a link so I can see the behavior directly?

More
5 years 4 months ago #25216 by Lindsay Heyes
:cheer: As far as I can find out, the problem seems to lie neither within Appointment Booking Pro, nor with Joomla settings, nor with server settings, but with the default fonts for Chrome (but it has also been seen in MS Explorer).
In browser settings:
  • UTF-8 encoding must be enabled
  • The default font(s) must be Unicode.
This problem can occur (or disappear) after an update of any browser, or if you (or some other user) changed the browser default fonts or encoding. It can also appear after a browser restart because changes to font defaults and encoding may only become effective after a restart. UTF-8 (or Unicode) is not the same as UTF-8 BOM. That could easily lead to confusion by browser designers when they are looking for an attractive default.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25217 by Rob
Good information, thanks.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds