• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #26490 by James Baldock
IPN Issues (new) was created by James Baldock
Good morning Rob,

How are you?

Sorry to bother you again. We've just been receiving IPN warning e-mails again:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) failed:
www.psychicshelly.com/index.php?option=c...oller=admin&task=ipn

We haven't made any changes to the site recently so I can't understand why these warnings have just started but would be grateful for any help that you may be able to offer.

When I try to go to that URL, nothing happens. When I tried a few times this morning, the page would hang and when I tried to then go to another page on the site, nothing would load.

I have uninstalled RSFirewall and Akeeba Admin Tools incase they were blocking access but that hasn't made any difference.

I checked the error logs and nothing is showing that is related to the issue.

Sorry to be a pain but do you have any ideas?

Many thanks

James

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #26492 by Rob
Replied by Rob on topic IPN Issues (new)
Here is something to try...

ABPro sends the notification URL to PayPal each time a customer is sent to PayPal.
As such, you should not need to enter any notification URL into your PayPal settings.

Perhaps PayPal has started flagging an empty notification URL in the IPN settings as a problem (??)

Try setting the Notification URL to the ABPro callback URL that PayPal referenced in their email.

In your PayPal Account, go to your settings page –> Seller Tools – Instant payment notifications – update – Edit Settings.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Rob.

More
3 years 6 months ago #26493 by Kenneth
Replied by Kenneth on topic IPN Issues (new)
Thanks. I just made the change. Will know by 0710 GMT+2 tomorrow if it worked or not.

More
3 years 5 months ago #26496 by Kenneth
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay. But there's been no new mails from PayPal since I updated this in PayPal. So it looks like that was the issuse.

More
3 years 5 months ago #26497 by Rob
Good news! :)

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26500 by Rob
The issue seems to come back.

Tons of Google threads about it, some dating back years, but nothing concrete.

As far as I can tell, PayPal looks at the failed IPN calls and if you have too many it sends this warning and eventually will disable IPN.

Why this should start showing up all of a sudden, after 10+ years of trouble free IPN in ABPro, I do not know.
Some sites are experiencing this, others are not.

One possibility proposed is an increase in hacker or bot activity is causing and increase in IPN fails as IPN does it job.
PayPal is seeing this increase in fails as a fault, and sends warning emails then disables IPN.

Another is that host blocking is causing IPN fails.

If you are encountering this new development, check your IPN History (link on the PayPal IPN setup page) and see if it sheds any light on IPN fails you are receiving.

Sadly, I can offer no solution to this new behavior, other than stop using PayPal, and collect payment at the door.

## UPDATE Nov 18/20 ##
The issue appears an error in the communication between PayPal and ABPro causing the IPN data correctly being transmitted to ABPro BUT PayPal still seeing it as a failure.
ABPro's PayPal IPN code is being reworked to use curl as per PayPal's recommendation.
The new release (RC 14) should be up soon.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Rob.

More
3 years 5 months ago #26509 by Kenneth
Hi again,

I earlier reported that after updating the URL for IPN the error stopped. Well, it didn't.

Also I was checking into perhaps using Stripe as a payment option. But it looks like this is no longer supported?

Also, does this mean you have quit developing this anymore?

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #26510 by Rob
I am retired now.

I will try to keep ABPro running, but new development is no longer in the cards.

With these new PayPal issues coming out of nowhere, I see ABPro as mainly a solution for sites not requiring payment.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Rob.

More
3 years 5 months ago #26523 by Kenneth
Oh well. Guess it had to happen at some time.

Your component has been the backbone of one of my clients website since 2014!! So I've been very happy with your effort for years! Sad to see this component discontinued.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26600 by Rob
Theory:
An error in the communication between PayPal and ABPro causing the IPN data correctly being transmitted to ABPro, BUT PayPal still seeing it as a failure.
PayPal will disable IPN if too many failures occur.

Solution(?):
ABPro's PayPal IPN code was written 10 years ago using a technique that is no longer listed in the PayPal sample code.
It has been reworked to use curl as per PayPal's recommendation, hopefully stopping the false IPN failures that PayPal is logging.

Note: I have never been able to reproduce the problem behavior so this is strictly a shot in the dark 'fix'.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Rob.

• James Baldock
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 years 4 months ago #26603 by James Baldock
Replied by James Baldock on topic IPN Issues (new)
Hi Rob,

That's great news, thank you!

We'll give it a go now.

Thanks again

James

More
3 years 4 months ago #26610 by Kenneth
I've found some new information to this.

The info is here: www.reddit.com/r/pfBlockerNG/comments/ju...ng_up_on_alienvault/

Why this is relevant is this:

I have been doing some additional testing and I was able to reproduce the issue you described. What's happening is your application is making an HTTPS request to 151.101.193.21 (Fastly) and it is never getting any data back from the page request, even after several minutes. This indicates a problem with the remote host at 151.101.193.21.

Here's a snippet from a system trace against your PHP process showing the issue:

773166 13:41:59 connect(5, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(443), sin_addr=inet_addr("151.101.129.21")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress)
773166 13:41:59 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLOUT|POLLERR|POLLHUP}], 1, 30000) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLOUT}])
773166 13:41:59 getsockopt(5, SOL_SOCKET, SO_ERROR, [0], [4]) = 0
773166 13:42:00 read(5, "\27\3\3\0-", 5) = 5
773166 13:42:00 read(5, "\251\321R\306\0355i\325M;\336B\247\22\372\273\253t\34\303K,x^\270`j\231)\276F\206}|\250Ha\17NX\21\2621\21\375", 45) = 45
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR) = 0
773166 13:42:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI|POLLERR|POLLHUP}], 1, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
773166 13:42:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
773166 13:42:00 read(5, 0x2de4253, 5) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
773166 13:42:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}], 1, 60000) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:43:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
773166 13:43:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR) = 0
773166 13:43:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI|POLLERR|POLLHUP}], 1, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:43:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
773166 13:43:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
773166 13:43:00 read(5, 0x2de4253, 5) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
773166 13:43:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}], 1, 60000) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:44:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
773166 13:44:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR) = 0
773166 13:44:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI|POLLERR|POLLHUP}], 1, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:44:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
773166 13:44:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
773166 13:44:00 read(5, 0x2de4253, 5) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
773166 13:44:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}], 1, 60000) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:45:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
773166 13:45:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR) = 0
773166 13:45:00 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI|POLLERR|POLLHUP}], 1, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
773166 13:45:00 fcntl(5, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
773166 13:45:00 fcntl(5, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
773166 13:45:00 read(5, 0x2de4253, 5) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

More
3 years 4 months ago #26611 by Rob

Here's a snippet from a system trace against your PHP process showing the issue:

All Greek to me.

Are you saying the new ABPro PayPal IPN code is still causing PayPal to log false failures, and PayPal is still disabling your IPN?

More
3 years 4 months ago #26612 by Kenneth
I havent updated yet. I will update and have a try (there's a lot of custom view with added info involved, so I have to be mindful when updating).

Will surely check in after I'm done with it.

More
3 years 4 months ago #26613 by Rob
The new IPN code is pretty isolated so if you want you could just drop in 2 new IPN files in your existing ABPro.

Files are in the attached zip.
Unzip and upload to:
\components\com_rsappt_pro3\payment_processors\paypal
Attachments:

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #26620 by Kenneth
Hi again. I just want to give a short update which will be updated again in a few days.

I added the files to day and made sure that IPN notifications on PayPal is turned on. So I'll check in in a few days with feedback about how it worked out.

UPDATE:
The PayPal processor has started to work for the site again.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Kenneth.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds